Fall Harvest

Fall Harvest

Wednesday, November 07, 2007

Shingles and Chicken Pox

Six years ago I had no idea of the relationship between the two. Soon after we got to the States for our second furlough, Donia (in 2nd grade then) suffered from pain and chicken pox-like spots. Since she had already had a good case of them, we assumed it must be some sort of allergy. (Poor girl, as I now realize. I only had a flashback on Monday and realized what she had had back then.) When Dustin got similar spots two weeks ago tonight and was suffering back pain, I took him to the doctor. She immediately diagnosed, as she called it "a classic case of shingles". I was amazed, since Dustin is only in 3rd grade, but the Dr. said such cases happen now and then. I read up on shingles and was reminded then that there is a relationship to chicken pox. Reminded, because 2 years ago my brother suffered with a case of shingles. You only get shingles, if you have had chicken pox, and you can't "catch" shingles, but a shingles patient can infect someone who hasn't had chicken pox yet. Well, in the mean time, Dustin's spots are healing, though he has still had some back pain. On Monday morning, Danielle evidenced first spots of chicken pox, which tonight are very unsightly and uncomfortable. Donovan and Danika are not far behind her. We found their first spots today. No fun for the patients, but I am thankful that now everyone in the family will have had them as a child!

No comments: